You can read the full article here.
As Dezeen’s Virtual Design Festival comes to an end, they reflect on the ‘Five Pioneering Virtual Design Festival’s Collaborations’. In their words,
Nelly Ben Hayoun hosted a pioneering design/sport mashup
French designer Nelly Ben Hayoun teamed up with VDF to bring the worlds of sport and design together. Her unique relay talk saw her chat to creatives including designer Yinka Ilori (who jogged while discussing his new skatepark), Tea Uglow from Google‘s creative lab, sportscaster Leonard Elmond and Slowe Magazine-founder Ro Jackson.
Together, the collective discussed a wide range of topics, spanning from sports’ relationship to nightlife to Black Lives Matter and how sport can have an impact on society.
More information about Dezeen’s Sports Day
In these pandemic times, sport has been – like any collective event – heavily impacted, to the point that one might wonder – is sport even a collective thing any more? Nelly and her guests explored this idea and together they learnt what sport has to offer other fields – design, nightlife, the space industry, politics and more.
Nelly’s guests at the Dezeen Sports Day were:
- Yinka Ilori, designer
- Joshua Grannell aka Peaches Christ, drag queen and cult leader
- Tea Uglow, author, activist and Director of the Google Creative Lab
- Ro Jackson, founder of Slowe Magazine, a sports magazine showcasing women’s sports
- Len Elmore, sportscaster, lawyer and former National Basketball Association (NBA) player
- David Goldblatt, sportswriter, broadcaster, sociologist, journalist and author
- Ravi Naidoo, founder of Design Indaba
- Hector Roca, International Boxing Digest’s #1 Spanish-speaking boxing trainer in the world
- Bruce Silverglade, President and owner of the legendary Gleason’s Gym
- Aleali, sneaker designer with Jordan and fashion tour-de-force
- Roumaysa Boualam, boxer and the first African woman to qualify for the 2021 Olympics
- Lilli Barrett O’Keefe, Project manager of the global network ‘Football for Good’, creator of the Play Proud Campaign for LGBTQ+ youth inclusion in football
You can still watch this event by following the link below.
Follow this link to access the stream and see the chaos unfold!
About the Virtual Design Festival
Running from 15 April to 10 July, Virtual Design Festival was the world’s first online design festival. It is sponsored by bathroom and kitchen manufacturer Grohe. To watch Nelly’s previous appearances at the Virtual Design Festival, click here.
Dezeen is the world’s most popular and influential architecture and design magazine, and the winner of numerous awards for journalism and publishing. Their mission is simple: to bring you a carefully edited selection of the best architecture, design and interiors projects and news from around the world.
Dezeen was launched by Marcus Fairs in November 2006 and has grown rapidly ever since. They also run Dezeen Awards, an annual awards programme that identifies the world’s best architecture, interiors and design.
The full article is available on their website.