Nelly Ben Hayoun, Designer of Experiences of the SETI Institute, will be speaking at SXSW Interactive in Austin, Texas, USA on March 11th 2014 with her International Space Orchestra collaborator Jasmina Tesanovic.
The International Space Orchestra
Nelly Ben Hayoun is Designer of Experiences at the SETI Institute. In 2012, Ben Hayoun assembled the world first International Space Orchestra (ISO) composed of space scientists from NASA Ames Research Center, SETI Institute (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence), Singularity University, and the International Space University.
Together they performed Ground Control: An Opera in Space, a 27-minute long performance on Apollo 11’s mission control.
Members of the ISO include: LADEE NASA Flight Director Rusty Hunt, and NASA astronaut Yvonne Cagle.
ISO music was composed by: Damon Albarn of Blur, Bobby Womack, Beck, Penguin Café, Maywa Denki, Evan Price, with a libretto by Bruce Sterling and Jasmina Tesanovic.
On 4 August 2013, the ISO recordings were launched from Japan, broadcasting the ISO in space.
Nelly will explain her methods and results, and shows off some highlights from this cosmic-sized work.
- What is the International Space Orchestra? Why is there an International Space Orchestra? What are the aims of the project? How can you be part of it?
- How does one create a space opera? How do you assemble the talents and find the facilities for live performances, recording, and film? Ground Control: An Opera in Space was recorded at Skywalker Ranch, George Lucas’ studio, where Star Wars was developed. The International Space Orchestra record was sent in space on 4th August 2013 on two ardusats (Arduino based Nanosatellite ran by the company Nanosatisfi).
- How do design fiction and interaction design work in the context of major scientific projects?
- Who are the scientists behind NASA famous missions . What about the Kepler search for extrasolar planets and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence? Get to learn about them through their passion for music.
- What comes next for Nelly Ben Hayoun? How is the astronaut training going?