VIEW DEZEEN SPORTS DAY LIVE ON NELLYBEN.COM!
In these pandemic times, sport has been – like any collective event – heavily impacted, to the point that one might wonder – is sport even a collective thing any more?
We’ll explore these questions and learn what sport has to offer other fields – design, nightlife, the space industry, politics and more – in this energetic, power-fuelled, live two-hour marathon show… which will also see designer Yinka Ilori running through London in real-time!
Hosted by Dezeen, the world’s most influential architecture, interiors and design magazine, as part of their 2020 Virtual Design Festival, our sport coach for the day is the Willy Wonka of design and science, amateur boxer and International Space Orchestra director Dr. Nelly Ben Hayoun- Stépanian. She brings together an original filter fantastique spectacle, with sneaker designers, cult leaders, sports personalities and more discussing sports, design and everything in between. Together they will try and establish:
- How does sport inform new practices in design? And, even more than that, how does it inform new politics and new political formats?
- What commonalities are there between boxing and ballerinas, dancefloor and football, running and crafting, basketball and gallery exhibitions?
- What is the future for the event industry as a whole?
Who Will Be Taking Part?
Guests will include –
- Yinka Ilori, designer
- Joshua Grannell aka Peaches Christ, drag queen and cult leader
- Tea Uglow, author, activist and Director of the Google Creative Lab
- Ro Jackson, founder of Slowe Magazine, a sports magazine showcasing women’s sports
- Len Elmore, sportscaster, lawyer and former National Basketball Association (NBA) player
- David Goldblatt, sports writer, broadcaster, sociologist, journalist and author
- Ravi Naidoo, founder of Design Indaba
- Hector Roca, International Boxing Digest’s #1 Spanish-speaking boxing trainer in the world
- Bruce Silverglade, President and owneer of the legendary Gleason’s Gym
- Aleali, sneaker designer with Jordan and fashion tour-de-force
- Roumaysa Boualam, boxer and the first African woman to qualify for the 2021 Olympics
- Lilli Barrett O’Keefe, Project manager of the global network ‘Football for Good’, creator of the Play Proud Campaign for LGBTQ+ youth inclusion in football
Where Can I Watch It?
You can watch the spectacle unfold on Dezeen.com: follow this link on the day to access the stream.
About the Virtual Design Festival
Running from 15 April to 10 July, Virtual Design Festival is the world’s first online design festival. It is sponsored by bathroom and kitchen manufacturer Grohe. To watch Nelly’s previous appearances at the Virtual Design Festival, click here.
Dezeen is the world’s most popular and influential architecture and design magazine, and the winner of numerous awards for journalism and publishing. Their mission is simple: to bring you a carefully edited selection of the best architecture, design and interiors projects and news from around the world.
Dezeen was launched by Marcus Fairs in November 2006 and has grown rapidly ever since. They also run Dezeen Awards, an annual awards programme that identifies the world’s best architecture, interiors and design.